The Deputy spokesman of the Ministry of Education (MoE), Mr Yaw Opoku Mensah says final year students of the Nyinahin SHS can not be blamed for the fire outbreak which destroyed the school’s dormitory on Friday, October 8.
His comment follows a media report that students who sat for the just-ended WASSCE for School deliberately set the school facility ablaze on October 8, 2021, few hours after they completed the international examination on October 8.
Speaking in an interview monitored by EducationWeb.com.gh, the Education Ministry Public Relations Officer said all the students with the exception of one who was ill were at worship (rosary prayers) when the fire started around 7 pm.
“What the Ministry know so far is as, at the time the blaze started, all the WASSCE candidates with the exception of one student who was not feeling well were at worship, we are yet to find the cause of the fire,” the spokesman stated.
Mr Opoku Mensah however said his outfit Wednesday will set up a committee that will include the District Chief Executive and Education Directorate of the Atwima Mponua District to investigate the unfortunate incident.
The Education Ministry Deputy Communications Director said the committee after their investigation will submit a report to the Ministry of Education for any individual found culpable of the criminal action to be punished vigorously.
The Ghana Police Service (GPS) in line with the Ministry of Education in a statement also said most of the Nyinahini SHS students when the burning started had checked out of campus and the remaining students were at rosary prayers.
According to the Police, their engagement with the final year candidates ahead of the administration of the WAEC examination contributed to the limited cases of school property damaged in Senior High Schools by students.