The central government says it is considering a one-year contract extension for the about 67,000 beneficiaries of the Nation Builders Corps (NABCO) who currently have not secured jobs and ended their three-year service this year.
Presenting the 2022 budget on Wednesday, the Minister for Finance, Hon Ken Ofori-Atta said the YouStart program and a Digital inclusion program will gradually absorb NABCO recruits in batches during the next fiscal.
“The government will through the initiative support these beneficiaries to gain access to capital, training, technical skills and mentoring to enable them to launch and operate their own businesses under the initiative,” he stated.
He noted “the NABCO programme was designed as a temporary stepping stone for young graduates for a period of three years. In the last three years, 100,000 young graduates have benefitted from the NABCO programme.
With over 33,000 trainees already securing jobs, the government will work to ensure that the remaining NABCO trainees are effectively supported to take advantage of the opportunities YouStart presents.”
The contract extension comes after the Management of the Corps last week met with relevant stakeholders of the module including the Vice-President and directed all NABCO trainees who ended service this year to remain at post.
In a statement copied to EducationWeb.com.gh, the Nation Builder said all trainees in line with their exit preparation after serving the country for 3 years are to remain at post as the Management discuss plans for a permanent job.
“Following a high-level stakeholder meeting with the lead NABCO module implementation partners (MIPs) led by His Excellency the Vice-President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia all NABCO trainees are to remain at post,” the statement said.
It continued “the NABCO Secretariate expects all trainees to continue to discharge their duties diligently and professionally at their various workplaces whilst the scheme and MIPs work towards a smooth final transition.”
The NABCO Management indicated that a new cohort of NABCO trainees will be recruited into service to serve the nation in various sectors when the next academic year begins in 2022.
The popular Nation Builders Corps (NABCO) was introduced by His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo led administration later in 2017 as part of measures to address graduate unemployment in the country.
The initiative was run under seven modules namely Educate Ghana, Heal Ghana, Feed Ghana, Revenue Ghana, Digitize Ghana, Enterprise Ghana, and Civic Ghana.