The Deputy Public Relations Officer for the Ministry of Education says his outfit is yet to set up a committee to investigate the fire incident which occurred at Nyinahini SHS on October 8, a day after students completed WASSCE.
Speaking in an interview with Oyerepa 100.7 FM monitored by EducationWeb.com.gh, Mr Yaw Opoku Mensah said members of the committee include District Chief Executive and Education Directorate of the Atwima Mponua District.
The Education Ministry spokesperson said the investigation committee after their investigation will submit a report to the Ministry of Education (MoE) for any individual found culpable of the criminal action to be punished vigorously.
“What the Ministry know so far is as, at the time the blaze started, all the WASSCE students with the exception of one student who was not feeling well were at worship, we are yet to find the cause of the fire,” the spokesman stated.
A source familiar with the matter, Saturday told EducationWeb.com.gh the incident happened on Friday, October 8, 2021, at about 7 PM, few hours after the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) ended.
The fire, reports say was students’ action to register their displeasure over what they claim is the heart-hardness of authorities for not allowing them to cheat in the just ended international examination administered by the WAEC.
The Assistant Headmaster of Nyinahini SHS, Mr Boamah who spoke to a reporter said the fire swept through at least eight rooms adding that several items belonging to the Catholic Senior High School have been lost to the burning.
In a related development, the Ghana Education Service (GES) has directed Regional Directors of Education to surcharge SHS students who after completing the 2021 WASSCE damaged or defaced the property of any Senior High School.