The Management of the Ghana Education Service (GES) Friday, September 3, 2021, under the ‘One teacher, one laptop’ initiative began the distribution of laptops to Kindergarten, Junior and Senior High School teachers.
The distribution of the laptops according to GES in a blog post sighted by EducationWeb.com.gh said started with teachers at the St Mary Girls Senior High School, the host of the launch of the ‘one teacher one laptop’ programme.
“Distribution of the laptops commenced today with teachers at St Mary Girls SHS, Korle Gonno host of the launch receiving theirs. All teachers from KG to SHS will receive laptops to enhance the provision of quality education,”
Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, the Vice President of the Republic of Ghana speaking at the ceremony said the central government has absorbed 70% of the cost of the laptop adding that teachers will only pay the remaining 30%.
“Every teacher in all public schools, from the kindergarten to the SHS level would receive a computer laptop each. The government would pay 70% of the cost of the laptop, while the teacher pays the remaining 30%,” Mahamudu noted.
President Akufo-Addo’s right-hand man as part of the government effort to improve the requisite ICT skills of teachers in the country presented over 350,000 brand new laptops to the Ghana Education Service (GES).
The Vice-President after the presentation of the materials underscored that effective teaching and learning is critical to developing the human capacity for work, innovation and creativity; necessary ingredients for capacity building.
“This initiative, in collaboration with the Teacher Unions, is to support the vision of Ghana Education Service (GES) of creating an enabling environment to facilitate effective teaching and learning,” the politician stated.
According to him, the laptops are preloaded with educational materials and with access to an E-Library equipped with books recommended by the Management of the Ghana Education Service (GES) on the various subjects.
The educational materials, His excellency the Vice President, Dr Mahamadu Bawumia noted can be accessed whether online or offline and with free Wi-Fi available in all the 722 Senior High Schools (SHSs) across the country.
He encouraged the beneficiaries of the government machine to use the state of the art laptops for intended purposes as almost innumerable resources available on the internet is expected to aid research, teaching and learning.