The Ghana Education Service (GES) after announcing for candidates who sat for this year’s BECE to begin the school selection for computer placement on November 29 is expected to end the process on Tuesday, December 14, 2021.
GES as part of efforts to ensure a smooth placement of the 2021 JHS graduates released infographics, flyers, short videos in 9 Ghanaian Languages and also deployed officers to officers to schools to sensitize the students.
The sensitization exercise on the selection of schools for the 2021/2022 academic year commenced on Tuesday, November 23, 2021, at various in all Regional, District Education Directorates and Junior High Schools (JHSs).
As the nationwide exercise ends Tuesday, December 14, 2021, the Education Service has urged parents and guardians who assisted their wards in the selection process to sign the BECE school selection register before submission.
The Ministry of Education has also cautioned the general public particularly candidates who wrote the 31st edition of the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) to be wary of fraudsters during the computer placement next year.
“Any person who contacts you to pay money for your placed or selected school to be changed or claims to have access to the school placement system or websites is a fraudster,” a staff of the Education Ministry told EducationWeb.com.gh.
The MoE official assured that Computerized School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) websites (cssps.gov.gh and cssps.org) are secured and that it is not easy for the system to be compromised as some unscrupulous claim.
A total of 571,894 final year students representing 287,605 boys and 284,289 girls from 18,028 public and private Junior High Schools (JHSs) across the country sat for the 2021 BECE for School at 2,158 examination centres.
GES do’s of 2021 BECE school selection
1. Ensure you pay close attention to ALL of your school choices
2. Ensure that the schools are in order of preference from your first priority to the least priority.
3. Ensure that your compulsory Day option is within your catchment area where you can conveniently commute.
4. Ensure that as a parent/guardian you take an active interest in your child/ward’s school choices.
5. Ensure that you consult your child/ward’s teacher to obtain a realistic prospect of the child’s chances of gaining admission to a particular school.
6. In the case of Technical Programmes, ensure that you consult the school register to verify that the schools you select offer your desired programmes.
GES 2020 don’ts of 2021 BECE school selection process
1. Do not outsource school choices to someone without your express involvement.
2. Do not leave school choices to an internet cafe attendant in the case of self-placement.
3. Do not assume that you can choose a school as a Day Student and switch to Boarding upon admission.
4. Do not assume that you can choose a ‘less competitive’ Programme at a school and switch to a ‘more competitive’ one upon admission.
5. Do not choose schools based on where your friends are going or what programmes they want to read.
The Education Service as part of measures to ensure a hassle-free school placement has encouraged parents and guardians of the 2021 JHS graduates to take a keen interest in the school selection process starting today.